Breaking News
  • April 32024 Spring Print Edition Coming Soon!
  • December 5Class of 2024 Graduation Date: May 22, 2024 at 8:00 AM at the South Florida Fairgrounds.
  • November 8Read our War Cry Wednesday newsletter!
  • August 29Follow War Cry on Instagram @jupiter.warcry!

The importance of general safety

Although Jupiter, Fla. is an overall safe place, there are still some safety issues needing to be addressed for citizens when online or in public.  

With Jupiter’s crime rate at around 56% it is important to set procedures to reduce the risk of becoming a potential victim. Around 1 in 707 citizens  become a victim in a violent crime and 1 in 90 citizens become a victim of property damage just in Jupiter alone according to Neighborhood Scout.

“Make sure you know what’s going on around you and know what’s happening. It keeps people from getting hurt,” Ashley Foster, medical and forensic science teacher, said.

The main way to avoid being in a dangerous situation is to make sure you are aware of your surroundings. If you are on the road and going somewhere you don’t know make sure you have a GPS, know how to identify landmarks and read the road signs. 

“Always be aware of your surroundings. Make sure you know what’s going on behind you. Make sure you know where you are. If you’re in an unfamiliar place, make sure you [are] always paying attention,” Foster said.

Having safety kits in your car in case of emergency and sharing your location with at least one other person can also help you be more prepared for any potentially dangerous situations and can ultimately increase your safety levels. If able to, traveling in groups of two or more can decrease your chances of becoming a victim in a crime. Even if you are going to go somewhere solo, make sure to notify someone where you are going and if possible when you will be back. 

“If you can travel, even with one other person it’s better. It’s always better to have someone watching your back in any situation,” Nolan Demer, JHS police officer, said.

While being cautious in public is noteworthy, staying out of harm’s way on social media is also paramount. Though teenagers often spend countless hours online, not many are aware of the repercussions being present on social media and posting about their life could have. 

“Staying safe on social media would be not giving too much information about where you’re at or where your home address is, what school you go to [or] anything about your background of your family,” Haley Turney, guidance counselor, said. 

Limiting your presence on social media can decrease the chance of becoming a victim of cyberbullying. Approximately 59% of teens have experienced some form of abuse on social media.

“The best way to be safe on social media is just [to] have the lowest presence possible, especially as a juvenile you don’t know who’s looking at your profile, you don’t know what people’s intentions are. So I would recommend definitely keeping all of your accounts whether it be Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, keep it private,” Demer said.

Reports have shown that around 38% of people can experience cyberbullying daily. Safety should always be the number one priority whether it’s online or in public. 

“I think having safety strategies in place makes the world feel safer,” Turney said.

View Comments (1)