Breaking News
  • April 32024 Spring Print Edition Coming Soon!
  • December 5Class of 2024 Graduation Date: May 22, 2024 at 8:00 AM at the South Florida Fairgrounds.
  • November 8Read our War Cry Wednesday newsletter!
  • August 29Follow War Cry on Instagram @jupiter.warcry!

Spring season dessert recipes

Lemon+raspberry+roll+
Shayna Lagos
Lemon raspberry roll

Warm weather, sunny skies and blooming flowers are all back for spring in Fla. So what are you waiting for? There’s no better way to bring in the spring season other than baking delicious recipes from flavor-filled lucky charm cookings to soft strawberry matcha cupcakes.

Lucky Charm Cookies

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ready to have some extra luck this spring season? This childhood cereal classic becomes mixed into a gooey soft cookie that will melt in your mouth, making it better than a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Ingredients:

– 2 sticks softened unsalted butter

– 1 ¼ cups of sugar

– 1 large egg

– 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

– 2 ½ cups of flour

– ½ teaspoon baking soda

– ½ teaspoon baking powder

– ¼ teaspoon salt

– 1 cup lucky charm marshmallows

– 1 cup mini marshmallows

Baking Instructions:

Start by preheating the oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Using a hand mixer, combine two sticks of softened unsalted butter with 1 ¼ cups of sugar until well combined. Then, add one egg and two teaspoons of vanilla extract and mix until combined. Mix the wet ingredients until well combined. 

Using a separate bowl, mix 2 ½ cups of flour, ½ teaspoon of baking soda, ½ teaspoon of baking powder and ¼ teaspoon of salt until combined. Then, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Add in one cup of lucky charm marshmallows and one cup of mini marshmallows into the mix. Stir with a spatula until combined. Scoop into balls and place on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

For more information on this recipe, visit:
instagram.com/reel/C36Nq7gPrDC/?/igsh=MWx0Y2FodWprZGlocA== 

Lemon Raspberry Rolls

This rich, sweet and tart treat has a lemon raspberry cream cheese icing which serves as the perfect spring-themed dessert.

Cook Time: Two hours and 45 minutes (includes resting)

Ingredients:

For the lemon dough:
– 1 cup milk

– 2 ¼ teaspoon active dry yeast (1 packet)

– 2 large eggs

– 2 large lemons zested

– 4 ¾ cups All-purpose flour

– ¼ cup White granulated sugar

– 1 teaspoon salt

– 10 tablespoon unsalted butter room temperature

For the lemon raspberry filling:
– ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature

– ¾ cup granulated sugar

– 2 large lemons zested

– 2 cups Frozen raspberry crumbles

– ½ cup heavy cream
For the lemon raspberry cream cheese icing:

– 4 tablespoon unsalted butter room temperature

– 4 oz cream cheese room temperature

– 1 cup powdered sugar (sifted)

– 1 large lemon zest

– 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 

– 2 tablespoon mashed raspberries

Baking Instructions:

For the lemon dough, heat one cup of milk in the microwave for one minute until it reaches 110 Fahrenheit. Sprinkle 2 ¼ teaspoon active dry yeast in one packet and let sit for 10 minutes for yeast to activate. In a separate large bowl mix 4 ¾ cups all purpose flour, ¼ cup white granulated sugar and one teaspoon salt. Add 10 tablespoons of room temperature unsalted butter (cubbed) to the large bowl and knead with flour using a pastry kneader or hands until butter is the size of a pea.

In a separate small bowl, lightly beat two large eggs. Pour eggs, milk/yeast mixture and two large lemons, zested into the large dry ingredient bowl; use a stand mixer and mix on low speed until dough forms. Continue to mix on medium speed until dough forms then knead dough for five minutes. Spray a large bowl with non-stick spray and pour dough into the bowl. Cover with a towel and let rise for one hour until doubled in size.

For the lemon raspberry filling, beat ½ cup unsalted butter until smooth; then add in ¾ cup white granulated sugar and zest of two large lemons and mix until smooth. Set aside. Roll the lemon dough into a rectangle shape onto a lightly floured surface until the dough is ¼ inch thick. Spread lemon filling over the dough and spread to edges. Crumble two cups of frozen raspberries and sprinkle over the dough.

Roll dough into a log shape. Using a serrated knife, cut off the ends of the dough. Cut the rolls into 12 even rolls and place into a 9×13 baking pan sprayed with baking nonstick spray. Set a towel over the pan and let rise for 20 minutes. Once done rising, pour ½ cup of heavy cream between the rolls and preheat the oven to 375 Fahrenheit and bake for 23-27 minutes until slightly golden.

For the lemon raspberry cream cheese icing, mash two tablespoons of raspberries and set aside. Using a hand mixer in a small bowl, beat four tablespoons unsalted butter and four ounces of cream cheese on high for one minute. Add in one cup powdered sugar and mix on low speed until combined and then medium speed until smooth. Then add in the mashed raspberries, one large lemon zest and one teaspoon of pure vanilla extract. Spread over icing once rolls are done baking.

For additional information on this recipe, visit:
https://stephaniessweets.com/lemon-raspberry-rolls/#recipe 

Strawberry Matcha Cupcakes

Fluffy and fruity treat incorporating matcha flavoring which seems to be all the rave this season.

Cook Time: 20 minutes 

Ingredients:

For the cupcakes:
– ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons cake flour 

– ½ cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

– 1 cup liners

– 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder

– ½ teaspoon salt

– 1 tablespoon fresh matcha powder

– ½ cup unsalted butter softened, cut into 1 inch cubes

– 2 large eggs

– ½ cup whole milk

– ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract

– Strawberry jam or preserves

For the buttercream:
-2 large egg whites

– ½ cup + 2 tablespoons sugar

-1 ½ sticks unsalted butter softened and cut into small pieces
– ¾ cup fresh strawberries (pureed)

Baking Instructions:

For the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 325 Fahrenheit. Set aside a cupcake pan lined with paper liners. In an electric mixer, combine ¾ cup and 2 tablespoons of non-self rising cake flour, ½ cup and two tablespoons of all-purpose flour, one cup sugar, 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt and one tablespoon fresh matcha powder on low speed until combined. Add ½ cup softened unsalted butter cut into one inch cubes into the mixer. Mix until cubes are the size of a peanut or smaller. In a separate large glass measuring cup, whisk together two large eggs, ½ cup whole milk, and ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract. Using the electric mixer on medium speed, add wet ingredients in three parts– making sure to scrape down sides of the bowl per part. Beat until wet and dry ingredients are incorporated. Pour batter evenly into cupcake liners and fill about ⅔ full. Bake for 17 to 20 minutes until the cake tester in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.

For the buttercream, put two large egg whites and ½ cup and two tablespoons of sugar in a heatproof mixer bowl and set over a pot of simmering water. Whisk until it reaches 160 Fahrenheit and the sugar dissolves. Remove bowl from heat and attach to a mixer and whisk on medium speed for five minutes. Increase speed to medium high for six minutes until stiff and glossy. Reduce speed to medium and then add 1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter softened and cut into small pieces one at a time. Whisk well after each addition and then switch to a paddle attachment before beating ¾ cup fresh strawberries pureed into mix until smooth for three to five minutes. Cover or refrigerate for up to three days to bring to room temperature. Beat on low speed until smooth before using and pipe on top of cupcake. Add one fresh strawberry on top of each cupcake and enjoy.

https://pantryandlarder.com/matcha-strawberry-cupcakes/#recipe