Breaking News
  • April 32024 Spring Print Edition Coming Soon!
  • December 5Class of 2024 Graduation Date: May 22, 2024 at 8:00 AM at the South Florida Fairgrounds.
  • November 8Read our War Cry Wednesday newsletter!
  • August 29Follow War Cry on Instagram @jupiter.warcry!

2028 Summer Olympics introduces new sports

Addison Gload

The Los Angeles 2028 (LA28), the Summer Olympics, proposed six new sports for the hope of attracting new fans, on Oct. 9. The sports were approved on Oct. 16, at the 141st International Olympic Committee (IOC) session.

This marks LA’s third time hosting the Olympic games, having previously hosted in 1984 and 1932. The 2028 Summer Olympics will introduce baseball, softball, squash and flag football and is set to take place from July 14 to July 30, 2028.

In order for a new sport to be accepted into the games it must first have recognition as a sport from the IOC as well as requiring the sport be administered by an international non-governmental organization which oversees at least one sport. It also must be widely practiced by men in at least 75 countries and on four continents, and by women in 40 countries and on three continents.

“I think the requirements are mostly fair. I know that [for] lacrosse they had to do a ton of research and tests,” David Druhot, freshman, said.

Once recognized, the sport then moves to International Sports Federation (ISF) status. At this point the international organization administering the sport must then enforce the Olympic Movement Anti-Doping Code. While also conducting out-of-competition tests on the sports competitors and maintaining rules set forth by the Olympic charter. The ISF must then apply for admittance by filing a petition showcasing criteria of eligibility to the IOC into the games in order to participate.

“[The petition] makes sure that whatever country you’re representing that you’re fit to actually represent them,” Landon Rasmus, junior, said.

Lacrosse and cricket are both returning to the Olympics after being featured in past games. 

“Lacrosse returning to the Olympics is good because it allows for them to keep growing and gain more players and people watching,” Rasmus said. 

Squash is a sport played with a racket and small hollow rubber ball. It  is played with either two or four players in a four-walled court. It was invented in 1830 by Harrow School students and is considered the toughest racket sport in the world.

“[Squash] would be cool to watch, just something new to see,” Rasmus said.