Breaking News
  • April 32024 Spring Print Edition Coming Soon!
  • December 5Class of 2024 Graduation Date: May 22, 2024 at 8:00 AM at the South Florida Fairgrounds.
  • November 8Read our War Cry Wednesday newsletter!
  • August 29Follow War Cry on Instagram @jupiter.warcry!

New Jupiter Fire Department coming in 2026

Addison Gload
Two firetrucks parked in the garage of Fire Station 16.

After 40 years of Palm Beach County services, Jupiter Town Council voted on the creation of a new fire department in August, giving the community control over the town’s branch.

The past deal ended late September, leaving Jupiter with a strict deadline to complete a new deal in order for fire services to continue. Building a new fire department will take around three years to complete, resulting in the town signing an interim deal until the new stations are constructed.

“The most recent has been a 10 year contract and it expired Sept. 30 of this year,” Malise Sundstrom, Town Councilwoman, said. “We were negotiating for over a year on the price for the next contract that would follow it, which is pretty normal.”

In order to pay for this, the council plans on using the town’s saving accounts to help enforce this transition while also not charging Jupiter residents double.

“One of my favorite things I learned about the town in joining is how fiscally responsible we are,” Sundstrom said. “Townhall, no debt. Police department, no debt. We have hardly any debt and we have a big savings account.” 

A group of firemen recently petitioned the town council in favor of the current Palm Beach County Fire Department services, asserting they never notified residents of the upcoming change.

“Palm Beach County Fire Department union is the ones fighting it,” an anonymous retired fireman said. “They are trying to get a petition together to have residents sign so they can get it on a ballot for the residents to vote for or against it.” 

According to the Town Council, with the addition of the new fire department, Jupiter as a whole will be saving $27,582,797, avoiding an increase in taxes or change in fire services.

“The effects of Jupiter getting their own fire department would be better economically for Jupiter,” Taylor Gale, junior, said. “I think that since the surrounding towns all have their own fire departments, it’s only right if we do too.”

Jupiter has a population of 61,341 people, one of the biggest populations in Palm Beach County. Yet, Jupiter is still a part of the Palm Beach County Fire Rescue (PBCFR). 

“80% of the coast have their own [fire department],” Sundstrom said. “With [Jupiter], 90%.” 

Boca Raton, Delray Beach, West Palm Beach and Boynton Beach are the four most populated places across the coast of Florida, with Jupiter close behind. The difference between the top five is Jupiter remaining a part of PBCFR. 

“My opinion is I’m all for the town having their own department. Better services. More oversight,” the anonymous source said. “The Department would be more invested in the residents doing community involved events than what are provided now.”

According to Sundstrom, response times will also be quicker. The Town Council claims current response times for PBCFR in Jupiter stand at an average of six minutes and 51 seconds. Tequesta, Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Palm Beach Gardens, North Palm Beach and more remain ahead of our response times, each with their own fire department. 

The new Jupiter Fire Department is set to begin Oct. 1, 2026. For further information, visit the Town of Jupiter website.