Jupiter girls basketball ends season district champs

Jupiter High’s girls varsity basketball team defeated Palm Beach Lakes High School in overtime to become district champions on Feb. 5, with a score of 50-47. 

Aayden Ghee, senior small forward, scored the winning three-point shot during the final seconds in the district championship game, beating the second-best team in the state.

“I was completely shocked. Palm Beach Lakes is a phenomenal team, and to be able to beat them in overtime with a game winner was nothing but joy,” Ghee said.

Ghee and other senior players have played against Lakes since their freshman year. The Rams were always a tough team to go up against, so the seniors were overjoyed reflecting on their big win.

“It feels really good to have made it this far this season because it is my senior year as well as most of my teammates. We have all been training very hard since freshman year and it is exciting to see all of our hard work finally pay off,” Alexis Lynch, senior point guard, said.

Following the win against Lakes, the girls competed against Vero Beach High School on Feb. 11 and won with a score of 48-41 in overtime. They then faced Lakes again on Feb. 16 in the regional finals, fought their hardest but ended up falling to the Rams 44-24.

In an unconventional year with a delayed start and cancelled games, the athletes were grateful to have a sisterhood bond that propelled them to winning districts. Under the leadership of their coach, Mike Lynch, they were able to prevail in a challenging season.

“My coach and teammates have made a huge impact on my life today. My coach is an amazing individual who has taught me so many things about life, not just basketball. I know I have a forever family with them,” Ghee said. 

Lynch, who has a daughter on the team, was dedicated to pushing the Lady Warriors to be their absolute best, inspiring them on and off the court. 

“My coach, who is also my father, has had a huge impact on me as a basketball player as well as the team. He knows the potential that each player has & this is why he will push them to be the best player they can be. He is always very positive during our games and motivates us to never give up in tough games,” Alexis Lynch said.