SGA introduces second homecoming in February

Jupiter High School’s Student Government Association (SGA) is holding a “second homecoming” dance early this Feb. The dance, named ‘Adventures in Wonderland,’ is set to take place on Feb. 3, 2023 at 7:30 p.m. in the gym. 

To purchase a ticket for the event, students must first get and fill out a contract before  purchasing a ticket online or in person. Finally, go to the courtyard outside of room 4-106 during either lunch to attain the physical ticket. 

Online sales start on Jan. 9 and end on Jan. 13 and in person sales will take place from Jan. 16 through Jan. 20. Guest contracts are given out Jan.13. 

The process of buying a ticket has changed slightly after homecoming. Now, students can pick up a contract even if they are on the obligation list, however, they will not be able to pick up their physical ticket. 

“It makes the overall process easier for everyone, that way a contract is just quicker to get picked up and we can check you off of the obligation list once you actually pay for your ticket,” Reece Mitchell, SGA treasurer, said.  

Contracts are still available in the front office and room 4-106 and tickets are still being sold. The proceeds made through these sales are going to be used to create a college scholarship for a Jupiter high student in financial need, a scholarship created by SGA member, Chili Byrne. 

“I wanted to create a scholarship for a student this year but I was trying to figure out how to get the money for it,” Chili Byrne, SGA President of Operations and overseer of dance preparations, said. “That’s when I saw the money we made off of Homecoming and decided to do that for this scholarship.” 

In order to prepare for the dance, SGA has advertised through outlets such as online fliers and online advertisements played on the school announcements. Starting in mid-Dec., decorations are also being built to decorate the gym the night of the dance, along with a photo booth and DJ. 

“I think all of the decorations are coming together. All of the chair people for the decorations are really good,” Hannah Lucas, SGA member, said. 

The ‘Adventures in Wonderland’ dance is the first winter dance that SGA has held, and so far, student feedback has been relatively positive for all grade levels.

“I’ve heard [the dance] is going to be good,” Shaun Walter, freshman, said. 

In addition to the dance, on Feb. 2 at 5 p.m., a Powderpuff game, where girls play and boys cheer, is being held on the JHS football field to raise money for the SGA project and raise excitement for the dance. The sign up form to be a player is currently on the SGA linktree. The winter pep rally is Jan. 27 to kick off the week leading up to the dance. 

“I think it’s going to really revive students coming off of break and then also reduce stress,” Phoenix Gulick, sophomore, said. “You get to hang out with friends and have a good time.”